We have been talking about green cards and how a conditional permanent resident’s green card is only valid for two years and that they must apply to remove the conditions before the card expires.

As mentioned before, a conditional permanent resident must file a petition to remove the condition as early as ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of the two-year conditional green card to avoid becoming ineligible to work and live in the US.

Last time, we also brought up a possible scenario involving marriage. Let’s say you married a US citizen and then obtained a green card. During the process you will need to produce proof to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that your marriage is genuine and not a sham. This can be done at the beginning when you apply or at your interview.

Proof of a valid marriage can include:

  • Proof of joint finances – examples: proof that you and your spouse have joint bank accounts, joint credit cards (make copies of statements), utility bills that list both names.
  • Copies of federal and state tax returns.
  • Family memorabilia – Copies of wedding invitations and pictures, family and vacation pictures (it would be useful to have other people, such as relatives on both sides, in the photographs), birthday, anniversary or holiday cards.  *It’s a good idea to write the date the photograph was taken and a concise description on the back of the picture.
  • Proof of Joint Insurance – this can be health insurance, vehicle insurance, homeowner insurance, or life insurance.

In all cases, you should only send or provide copies as they are valid to the same extent as an original and they will not be returned to you by USCIS. The more evidence you can provide that demonstrates you are in a bona fide marriage, the better chance your I-751 case will be accepted and approved without having to do an interview with USCIS.

Regardless, Hytlon Adamson Watson is here to guide you through the immigration process. If you are unsure about some of the evidence you have to present and whether a document may or may not be helpful, we can assist you and your spouse in determining what will be most useful to your case.

In the News

Read more about possible changes in the immigration system, involving permanent residency immigration. Contact us today with all of your immigration questions and concerns! Have a great day!