Can My Employer Help Me Get A Visa?

Can My Employer Help Me Get A Visa?If you are interested in coming to the United States on a work visa, one of the best ways to do that is to find an employer ahead of time. Having an employer sponsor allows you to qualify for a work visa that will give you the ability to live and work in the United States. This may also give you the opportunity to become a citizen later on, depending on the kind of visa that you get and the actions that you take once you get here. There are a number of different types of work visas, and the right one for you depends in large part on what kind of work you do, how long you will need to be in the country, and your country of citizenship. In most cases, you will need an employer to take the action to file the petition for your visa. In other words, it is not something a process that you can independently initiate. Because it is their responsibility to file for the visa, it is not likely that you will have to do the leg work of determining which visa is appropriate, but it is still helpful to understand the available options.

Types of Work Visas

The most common kinds of work visas are EB-1, H1-B, and TB visas. L-1 visas are also available, but are generally quite niche in their application, limited to noncitizen employees who work for an overseas company for a period of 12 months in a managerial or executive role.

EB-1 visas are most appropriate for highly specialized employees whose expertise is needed by the U.S. company. These individuals should have received national or international acclaim for their area of expertise, and they must be accepting a job that focuses on that same area of expertise. Examples of individuals that would best be suited by an EB-1 visa include acclaimed researchers, professors, and other experts.

The H1-B visa is appropriate for noncitizen employees in specific fields. There are a limited number of these visas issued each year and after the cap is met, you must wait until the following year to apply again. Both of these visas must be initiated by your future employer. They will also have to verify your employment offer at various points throughout the application process.

If you are a Canadian or Mexican citizen looking to enter the U.S. temporarily for a business reason, a TN Visa may be the best option for you. If you have questions about how to obtain a work visa for yourself or an employee, an experienced immigration attorney can help. If you are currently in the U.S. on a work visa we can also help you determine a path toward your larger immigration goals.

Contact HAWM Law

If you are an employer in need of assistance filing a visa petition for a potential employee, or you are an individual in need of advice, guidance, or assistance on any matter related to immigration, the experienced immigration attorneys at Orlando’s HAWM Law Firm are ready to help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

If you need help with an immigration matter, it can be overwhelming, and be hard to even know where to start looking for help or what options are available. Our attorneys at HAWM Law are ready, experienced and committed to helping immigrants at any stage of the US immigration process. You do not have to struggle through this process alone.

Translate »