How Do I Get a Fiancé Visa?

If you are a United States citizen who has fallen in love with a foreign national, your love story has likely had more than its fair share of trials and tribulations when it comes to navigating the immigration system and determining how to get a visa. It can be frustrating when it feels like there are so many roadblocks to starting your life together. Luckily, however, you do not have to navigate this process alone. The experienced immigration attorneys at Florida’s HAWM Law Firm are prepared to walk you through each step of the process, from determining your options and eligibility, to helping you apply, and assuring that your application is actually and fairly reviewed. Here is some guidance to help you get started on this chapter of your love story.

What is a Fiancé Visa?

A fiancé visa is officially known as a K-1 visa. This visa gives engaged couples that meet certain qualifications a strict period of 90 days from the date it is issued to unite and legally marry in the United States. If the visa is not used during the time for which it is allotted, it will expire and will no longer be valid. It will be up to the discretion of United States Citizenship and immigration officials to issue a new one, and may require you to complete the entire application process again with no guarantee as to whether it will be approved a second time. This is all to say that it is important to ensure that you are actually emotionally and financially prepared to make the commitment of legal marriage when the visa is issued. If you are, then this visa can really expedite your ability to start married life with your loved one in the U.S. Many couples who apply and are approved can come to the U.S. in as little as five to seven months from the date of their initial application, although the exact time frame can vary.

Am I Eligible for a Fiancé Visa?

If you are a United States citizen (not a permanent resident) and you have documented evidence of your relationship with a foreign national who you have visited in person within the past two years then you may qualify to petition for a fiancé visa. You must also demonstrate that your income is at least 125% of the federal poverty guidelines so that it is clear that you have the financial capacity to support your fiancé. Your fiancé will also go through a review to determine whether they have a criminal background or other factors that may affect their ability to enter the country.

Talk to a Florida Immigration Attorney

If you require assistance with an immigration-related matter, such as obtaining a visa for your fiancé who lives in another country, dedicated legal representation can make a world of difference. Contact the experienced Orlando, Florida immigration attorneys at HAWM Law today and schedule a consultation to find out how we can help you.

If you need help with an immigration matter, it can be overwhelming, and be hard to even know where to start looking for help or what options are available. Our attorneys at HAWM Law are ready, experienced and committed to helping immigrants at any stage of the US immigration process. You do not have to struggle through this process alone.

Translate »