How To Register For Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

How To Register For Temporary Protected Status (TPS)Over the past month, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has expanded the list of countries designated for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to include Afghanistan and Ukraine. TPS differs from other forms of emergency immigration, such as asylum and refugee status, in that it is not decided strictly on a case-by-case basis. Rather, in order to be considered for TPS, an individual must come from a country that is on the list of counties designated for Temporary Protected Status by the State Department. The State Department adds countries to this list when it determines that a substantial risk of harm or death exists to foreign nationals who would return there. Now that Afghanistan and Ukraine have been added to this list, nationals from those countries may register for TPS here in the states.

What is Temporary Protected Status?

TPS is a status granted to individuals from foreign countries that are too dangerous for them to live in or return to. TPS can be granted due to natural disasters, political unrest, or war. TPS is granted for a period of 18 months, but may be renewed by the government until it determines that nationals from those countries are no longer in danger if they return. TPS gives individuals from designated countries the ability to live and work in the United States without fear of deportation. While TPS can essentially last an indefinite period of time, it does not create a path to citizenship and is only meant as a temporary solution to provide a safe haven for vulnerable individuals.

If you need help with an immigration matter, it can be overwhelming, and be hard to even know where to start looking for help or what options are available. Our attorneys at HAWM Law are ready, experienced and committed to helping immigrants at any stage of the US immigration process. You do not have to struggle through this process alone.

How to Register for TPS

Ukrainians who were in the United States on or before March 1, 2022, and Afghans who were in the United States on or before March 16, 2022 are eligible to register for TPS online via the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website. You will have to use form I-281 to apply for TPS. If you wish to have authorization to work in the U.S. it is important to file form I-765 at the same time as you file form I-281. While you do have the option to file I-765 later, it can result in significant delays in your ability to begin working. You are likely to receive an expedited work authorization if you file both forms at the same time. You will also have to provide evidence of your identity and nationality (to confirm that you are from a country currently designated for TPS), as well as evidence of your date of entry into the U.S., and evidence that you have maintained continuous residence in the United States since entering the country.

Contact HAWM Law

If you are an Afghan or Ukrainian foreign national residing in Florida and you require assistance registering for TPS or with any immigration-related matter, the experienced immigration attorneys at HAWM Law are ready to help. Having a dedicated legal advocate in your corner can make all the difference, and our lawyers will make sure that the immigration process is as straightforward and efficient as possible for you. Contact HAWM Law today to schedule a consultation.

Translate »