Immigration For The Siblings Of American Citizens

Immigration For The Siblings Of American CitizensSiblings of American citizens may be eligible for immigration benefits, depending on their relationship to the citizen and their qualifications. If you have a U.S. citizen sibling over the age of 21, you can ask them to help you apply for a green card.

Apart from being at least 21 years old, however, they also need to be able to demonstrate that you have at least one parent in common and that they will be able to provide for your financial needs. It is imperative for them to be able to ensure that you (or they) will not need any government support as a result of their sponsoring you.

What are the Steps in the Process?
If Your Siblings are Currently Outside the United States

If you are a citizen of the United States, and you have a brother or sister who is not a U.S. citizen, you can file a form called an I-130 petition on their behalf. This will start the process of getting them a green card (permanent residency).

There are several steps in this process. The most important one is for your sibling to be interviewed at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. They will need to provide evidence that they have a close relationship with you, and that they meet other requirements for immigration.

If everything goes well, they will be approved for a green card, and will be able to come to live in the United States. There is no guarantee, however, that they will be approved, so it is important to prepare well for the interview.

If Your Siblings are Currently Inside the United States

If you are the sibling of an American citizen, but you are not one, you may be able to get a green card (legal permanent residence) in the United States. Here are the steps in the process:

The first step is to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You must include evidence that shows your relationship to the American citizen.

Once approved, the second step is to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with USCIS. You must include evidence that shows your eligibility for a green card. This may include evidence of your employment, education, or other qualifications.

If you need help with an immigration matter, it can be overwhelming, and be hard to even know where to start looking for help or what options are available. Our attorneys at HAWM Law are ready, experienced and committed to helping immigrants at any stage of the US immigration process. You do not have to struggle through this process alone.

Is There a Quota for the Sibling Entry Process Each Year?

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sets a limit on the number of visas that can be issued for siblings of American citizens each year. The visa allotment for sibling sponsorship is 65,000 a year. This means that only 65,000 visas can be issued to siblings of American citizens each year. As such, there are a limited number of visas available each year and the demand for them often exceeds the supply. As a result, not everyone who applies for a visa will be able to receive one.

What Can You Do to Help Your Sibling’s Permanent Residency is Granted?

There are a few things that can be done in order to help a sibling’s permanent residency be granted. The most important thing is to contact an experienced immigration lawyer who can help guide the process and provide support. There are also some specific things that can be done in order to increase the chances of success, such as providing documentation that proves the familial relationship and demonstrating strong ties to the United States.

The attorneys at HAWM Law are skilled with these. If you have any questions or want to get started, contact us. We are here to help.

Translate »